Thursday, January 22, 2009

EL AMOR EN LOS TIEMPOS DEL COLERA

I have this habit of matchmaking. Lately, the weird thing with this habit of
mine is that I just do it in my head. Why? Because oftentimes, I match
people, usually a man and a woman of whatever age, who are seated beside each other, in a train,
in a bus, in a mall or just about anywhere. I don’t know them and they don’t know me either. They have not even bothered to look at each
other as they are busy minding their own lives. But I don’t care, I will try to make them a pair in my head. First, I will look at their physical
characteristics. Do they look good
together? Nah…the guy looks too corporate and the girl looks…well all the more corporate
…they would make a boring couple. Or the
guy looks like a dork and the girl looks like a princess. Alright, the perfect love story. Then I would think of the best pick-up
lines, either by the guy or by the girl…so the two of them would end up
together. It’s fun actually. The story would go on, until one of them
leaves. Poof! Look for other victims.

Not all of the matchmaking happened in my head. I actually used to bring two people together. I gladly did this for my friends who shared
with me their intentions. I made sure
that the two of them felt something for each other…well that made the
matchmaker’s life easier, I suppose. I
never lived up to the challenge of connecting two people who were miles away
from each other, figuratively and literally- for it was difficult to play with
other people’s emotions. It was me who
knew what was going on. Then after the
matchmaking, a blissful life follows. I
figured back then, I was the best choice for this activity because I found it
exciting and I had no romantic relationship yet then, so I was quite neutral
and saw both sides of the coin. Too bad,
not all of the projects had happy endings. Then I asked why. When I started
seeing the couple, they were like perfect for each other. Even before they became one, I thought that they
had the characteristics that would complement each other. They felt bad after a break up. I felt the same way too. Going beyond my projects, I wondered why
people in a relationship decide to break up.

As I said, I knew a lot about couples close to me. Years back, I was like a priest to whom they
confessed everything. In a month’s time,
I was told of two break up stories and one relationship that was on the rocks (which
finally ended this year). Then somebody told
me that if I hear quite a lot of break up stories, it’s a sign that it would be
my turn to have a romantic relationship. And true enough, a month after, I had my first relationship. I did not have that on purpose to fulfill the
prophecy, hahaha. It was actually weird. But what bothered me is the fact that I might
be the one to tell my break up story in the future. As of now, do I see myself breaking up with
the person? No. But I remain steadfast in my quest for the
possible reasons we might break up and do the necessary precautions to
counteract those causes. Is that really
possible? But I am also the “expect the
worse” type of person. Makes the pain more tolerable, I think.

I actually am writing this now because I feel sad, not for
me, but for four friends. The number of
years a couple had been together does not really matter. If something cuts through the bond, sometimes
it cannot be stopped. It will slice
completely and leave each one half the person he or she used to be. Everything happens for a reason.

Love is undeniably difficult to understand. Sometimes, it begins with only one person in
love and the other one unmindful. And
the beauty of it is seen when the loving person begins to affect the unmindful
one. Sometimes it begins blissfully,
when the couple seems to be a match made in heaven and they are interested in
each other at the very start. Either way
it blooms, the fact that it could end remains.

I came from a school exclusive for girls and a Catholic
school at that. But you know what kind
of thinking it somehow instilled in me, which I realized when I was already in
UP? That relationship with another girl
is alright, in the same way that a relationship of a guy with another guy is
fine. Why? Because of the thought that people of the
same gender, when they are in a relationship would understand each other
better. And what happens if people
understand each other…world peace! No
more women are from Venus and men from Mars mentality. But I was quite disappointed to realize that
it is just but the same old relationship…that somehow breaks up in the end…and
more fatal actually than the usual guy-girl relationship.

Now I am in a relationship and I am hearing break up stories,
I wonder what prophecy we now have for this. I hate to follow suit. Another
thing that bothers me is that I haven’t read any of the works of Gabriel Garcia
Marquez. No class ever required me to
read his books and no one recommended his books to me. But now, I wanted to read Love in the Time of Cholera. Is it a nice read? If you know where I can buy a cheap copy of
this book or if you can lend me one, please…
Stay in love. Love
means more than having a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a wife or a husband. Though it is undeniably difficult to
understand, it has a whole lot of different forms for each one of us that we can totally enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment