Thursday, August 4, 2011

HAPPINESS SERIES - HAPPINESS IS...



WALKING ALONG A SPIC-AND-SPAN CORRIDOR.

As a new semester starts, the floors have been waxed and the bulletin boards have been cleared of old postings. The three levels of our building are maintained by Ms. Josie, the custodial worker. Because I looked Hispanic in some ways, the custodial workers who are mostly Hispanic, feel comfortable talking to me - in Spanish, at first. Until I tell them that I am Filipino and I don't speak Spanish, though I understand some words.

If there is one thing useful I've learned as a researcher, it is to sincerely befriend custodial workers and security guards. So when you have to work on evenings, they'll let you in the building without questions, and you'll have instant company too especially if you are scared of the very scientific "mumu". They'll help you too when you need to clean up or carry something. Here in the US, custodial workers go home at 2 PM and there are no security guards. Nonetheless, it is still very important to treat them well.

Ms. Josie surprised me when a tragic incident happened in the lab. She asked questions, I answered. Then all of a sudden, she hugged me and told me that if problems come my way, I should dismiss the idea of taking my own life. I was touched. It was as if she was murmuring a silent prayer for everyone as I said thank you.

Every time I see these clean corridors, I smile and I am reminded of people, who although not academically, make school life easier to deal with.

TRUE COLORS

No comments:

Post a Comment